The First Courthouse in the Texas Panhandle
The first courthouse in the Texas Panhandle was built in Mobeetie in 1880. Irish stone masons quarried the stone from the Emanuel Dubbs homestead nine miles east of Mobeetie. In 1888 the building was condemned because of structural flaws: metal pins were not used to hold the stone together. The stone courthouse was replaced by a wooden courthouse that served the county until 1926. In 1908 the wooden courthouse was moved to Wheeler, 12 miles southeast, when the county seat was moved to the new town of Wheeler.