Mobeetie Gets A New Courthouse

Picture of the new wooden courthouse

A wooden Courthouse was built in 1888-89 to replace the limestone courthouse that had been torn down because of structural flaws. Standing on the porch are from left to right: Mark Huselby, Newt Bowers, J. M. (Dick) Grisby, John Crowley, unidentified man, and C. C. Cook. The courthouse was moved to Wheeler in 1908 when Wheeler became the county seat. The building was purchased by Sheriff Riley Price in 1923 and torn down so the lumber could be used in other structures.